Friday, August 11, 2006

Maybe it fits my multiple personalities.

I'm still reading Eugenides' Middlesex. For some reason, my reading is slow, but the book is enthralling. There are three plot lines weaving throughout the narration. The protagonist is telling the story of his grandparents while simultaneously talking about his own past and present. I am amazed at how quickly the narration jumps from one time period to the next, but I'm even more shocked at how easy it is to follow.

These types of changes - the going back and forth between stories with barely a pause - they are the bees knees for me (that's right, the bees knees). One of my most treasured experiences in reading is during Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. In Chapter 3, there are three different scenes taking place, one after the other. At first, each goes on for pages. Gradually, they begin to intertwine, and take up only paragraphs, but are still separated. As each scene only gets sentences, they begin to crash into one another, follow each other, and push to keep attention. It's absolutely gorgeous. I think I read it three or four times before I could move on to the next chapter.

Though in a completely different pattern and presentation, Middlesex is kind of like that. One story is prominent right now, but every once in a while, another will cross and step in, even if for just a moment. I don't know whether they'll crash or simply begin flowing into one another, eventually allowing another plot line to overcome as the story progresses, but it's thrilling to watch them roll back and forth. The reading is seamless, but the moments are all over the place. I'm in love.

1 comment:

Bellezza said...

I've never read Brave New World, and you give it an enticing paragraph. Normally, that kind of interweaving of scenes right from the get go makes it difficult for me to get into a book. But I'd like to give it a try, especially since it's such a classic.

It's nice to find another book lover. Thanks for visiting today, and we'll have to chat about Middlesex when you finish it. (I left you a brief comment under yours in my post.)